In preparation for our eastward migration, which may start sooner than we thought*, Alex and I played a little game in our hotel suite at the Venetian in Las Vegas this week… a little game I like to call, “Where Would We Put The Bed?”
Since the company-sponsored suite was definitely larger (and most likely nicer, and probably cheaper) than any apartment we’ll snag in NY, we tried to envision how our existing furniture would fit into a space about that size.
Upon determining that our ever-expanding bookshelves will need their own bedroom, and that we could only dream of owning a sweet shiny gold couch like that, we gave up. I went back to reading Uglies (yeah, see how well that write vs. read decision went for me the other day?), and Alex went back to usability testing the minibar (it passed!).
After four days in the plastic paradise city where getting attacked by the Borg (assimilate or die!) at the Star Trek Experience was our most realistic adventure, we’re finally back in Denver. We miss that sweet gold couch, but no need to despair… there’s lots we can do right here at home to get into that New York state of mind!
Stuff to Do Before the Move:
- Move all of our furniture into the living room and pretend that it’s our entire apartment
- Close off the large bathroom and add a few cracked pink and black tiles, South American water bugs, and a loose, unlockable window to the smaller one
- Lock up the garage and park on the street two neighborhoods over
- Close off the laundry room and start hauling our dirty clothes in fabric bags to the nearest laundromat
- No more SUVs for big, semi-monthly grocery trips! It’s back to walking the rickety old lady cart for us!
- Purge our closets of all brightly colored clothes, leaving only black and, for a change-up, a few gray accessories (hey, gray’s a color!)
- Break the spokes on our never-used Colorado umbrellas so we can leave them with their black and blue bumbershoot brethren in the 5th Avenue post-storm gutter
- Practice writing a rent check with an extra 0 at the end
- Bash up our car with a few door dents and key scratches
- Throw out all those bottles of sun screen and reinforce our motley collection of gloves and scarves
- Practice preparing and cooking food in a closet on one stove burner with a dorm-sized fridge and no microwave
- Ask our maintenance guy to stop fixing broken stuff and to leave that trash in the parking lot right where it was thrown
- Practice our swift-elbow-to-the-ribs moves for those subway passengers who refuse to “stand clear of the doors” on the 6 platform at Grand Central
- Take $100 out of the ATM every day and burn it, then erase our memories so we have no recollection whatsoever of where that money went
Hmmm. Did I miss anything?
* It’s, like, super awesome to learn from an online newspaper that your company is about to be acquired!